Bec Dickinson shares a recipe from her book Love Your Lunches to give you inspiration. Perfect to make on the weekend in preparation for the week ahead (if they aren’t all consumed by Sunday night).
VEGETARIAN | GLUTEN-FREE | DAIRY-FREE |REFINED-SUGAR-FREE | MAKES 20 BALLS
120 g (4 oz/scant cup) coconut oil200 g (7 oz/generous cup) clear honey
300 g (11 oz/2 cups) raw whole almonds
150 g (4 oz/scant cup) pistachios
260 g (9 oz/scant 3 cups) desiccated coconut
70 g (2 oz/generous cup) dried dates
3 tsp matcha powder
2 tbsp almond butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
4 tsp freeze-dried raspberries, plus 1 tbsp for decoration
- In a small saucepan over a low heat, melt together the coconut oil and honey. Remove from the heat, and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the almonds, pistachios, 160 g (5 oz/1 cup) of the desiccated coconut, dates, matcha powder, almond butter, vanilla extract and salt. Pour over the melted coconut oil and honey, and blitz on high speed until the nuts are roughly ground down, but still chunky and the mixture sticks together. Add the freeze-dried raspberries and pulse until they are dispersed throughout the mixture.
- In a small bowl, toss together the remaining coconut and freeze-dried raspberries.
- Line a small baking tray with baking parchment. Take heaped tablespoons of the mixture and roll into 20 equal sized balls. Coat in the coconut and raspberry mixture and place on the lined tray.
- Leave in the fridge for four hours or overnight to set. Store in a lunch box to transport to work. Lasts for up to one week in the fridge.
This article appeared in Playtimes September Issue 2017 and updated February 2020