The holiday season is full of festive inspiration. We decorate our homes and share in the spirit of the season with food and give gifts. It’s the most wonderful time of the year, but along with the festivities often comes a whole lot of waste and overconsumption. Shopping local, making your own gifts, upcycling and generally reducing waste makes the Christmas season not only more sustainable, but it can also save money and have a positive impact on the environment. Hong Kong has so many wonderful local businesses stocking amazing gifts. Here are some of our favourites.
- The Lion Rock Press specialises in Hong Kong-themed gifts and stationery.
- Buy pre-loved designer children’s clothes and more at Retykle.
- Little Bean’s Toy Chest HK makes fabric storybooks with super cute themes and designs, and all books can be personalised with a name on the cover.
- Prister Academy sells educational STEM toys.
- Little Days Shop carries personalised Christmas ornaments.
- Rosey Cloud offers a wide range of handmade soaps and skincare and a Christmas gift set. They also host Christmas workshops!
- Goods of Desire is always a favourite for uniquely Hong Kong gifts.
- Vegan Hamper has a great selection of vegan gourmet foods and more.
- Little Tots Corner is a place where you can get ethically sourced toys that will help grow your child’s imagination.
- Freedom2Sparkle creates unique jewellery and can repurpose jewellery you already own.
- The Hong Kong Arts Collective works to promote and exhibit local artists.
- Tisarom locally makes herbal tea from French organic herbal plants, flowers and dried fruits from the south of France. They use biodegradable tea bags.
- The Tree Stationery & Co. is a small stationery and gift shop in Causeway Bay. Over 90% of their products are by award-winning local designers and local artisans.
- PEKES Is a monthly subscription to an eco-friendly pre-loved toys rental service.
- Pura Vida stocks healthy, convenient and nutritious snacks and treats delivered straight to your door, like granola and energy balls.
- Rebooked is Hong Kong’s first online store for second-hand children’s books.
- The Green Dragon children’s book series by Suzanne Younan, takes place all over the islands, beaches and country parks of Hong Kong on the theme of pollution and convenience over sustainability.
- Pictoresca Designs designs hand painted portraits of your loved ones, family illustrations, cards and pet portraits.
- Snuggles HK specialises in personalised ornaments and stockings.
- Coconut Matter locally made gifts in HK with all-natural ingredients.
- Vamaani is a Hong Kong-based casual wear brand specialising in graphic t-shirts and sleepwear.
- Good Days Activewear offers activewear made from eco-friendly materials.
- Coco Paradise sells delicious and healthy sweet treats.
Shop at local businesses this Christmas and support your Hong Kong community!
- Your Ultimate Guide to Celebrating Christmas in Hong Kong (2021)
- Playtimes’ Christmas Gift Guides 2021
Featured image courtesy of Handmade Hong Kong;