Reading Time: 13 minutesKennedy Town Hong Kong continues to be a popular hang out with locals, and expats alike. Easy to get to on the MTR (Island line), buses and trams there is truly something here for everyone. If you want a taste of local Cantonese, Mexican, Middle Eastern or Italian cuisines, Kennedy Town has it all. We’ve rounded up our favourite places to eat, shop, drink and see in our Kennedy Town neighbourhood guide.
Things to do
- Hike to Mount High West from Kennedy Town HKU for some amazing scenic views. Mount High West Viewing Point gives you sweeping views of Cyberport, Pok Fu Lam, Kennedy Town, Sai Ying Pun, and up to ICC and West Kowloon. And with this unobstructed view of the west, a great plaxe to catch the sunset.
- Walk along the New Praya Kennedy Town and enjoy the panorama of the harbour. Grab a coffee and seat on one of the benches to watch the sunset.
- Fully opened at the end of 2019, The Belcher Bay Harbourfront has been a lifesaver during Covid-19. With a vast open area you can take a walk, race round on scooter, or take your skate board for a spin. Decorated to match the seasons, this is a great place to wind down.
- Kennedy Town Swimming Pool is a great leisure space for the young and the old. With an indoor, outdoor pools and a kids pool, its the perfect spot to cool off in the Hong Kong heat.
- Kennedy Town’s Board Game Cafe, Wheat and Wood is a great place to unwind. A space for friends to meet up and hang out over board games, whilst having a few drinks and nibbles.
- Golden Scene Cinema – Opened earlier this year by local film distributor Golden Scene, this is the first movie theatre in the Western District. Movies are a mix of International blockbusters. local and alternative. Address: 2 Catchick St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2151 1226
Smithfield Public Library – Address: 3/F., Smithfield Municipal Services Building, 12K Smithfield, Kennedy Town, Hong Kong. Contact: +852 2921 7106.
Smithfield Sports Centre – Located on 4-7 floor of the Smithfield Municipal Services Building. The Centre provides sports facilities for groups and individuals, ranginmf from a childrens playroom, to squash, tennis and pool to name a few. Address: 4/F, Smithfield Municipal Services Building, 12K Smithfield, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2855 7321.
- Essential Spa – Offering spa services, that include facial treatments, massage, hydrobath, slimming treatments and nail services – manicure and pedicure. Address: G/F Shop D, 23 Belcher’s Street, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2872 6088.
You may also like: The Best Public Swimming Pools in Hong Kong For a Family Day Out
Where to EAT
Our Top Family Friendly Picks
Alvys – Inspired by New York City’s iconic pizzerias, Alvy’s is a great spot in Hong Kong to get your fix on the type of pizza’s you would find on a late night stroll in Manhattan or Brooklyn. They also have a great selection of craft beer on tap as well as an impressive selection of American Bourbon. Its also a great spot for families to kick start the weekend or for a easy weekday dinner and a top feature in our Kennedy Town Neighbourhood Guide. Address: 8 Holland St, Kennedy Town, Contact: +852 2312 2996.
Jaspas – A popular spot in Kennedy Town, Jaspas offers a no fuss, easy laid back dining option, perfect for families. A good selection of menu offerings which will please even the fussiest of eaters! Whether you are after breakfast, brunch/lunch or a casual dinner. Address: Commercial Unit B, Ground Floor, Manhattan Heights, No. 83 Catchick Street. Contact: +852 2872 0823.
Genki Sushi – With multiple locations all over Hong Kong, Genki Sushi is a great place for a family meal out. With kids sushi sets, themed sushi and a sushi train its a guaranteed hit. Address: Luen Fat Apartments, Shop A&B, G/F, 38 Forbes St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2817 5522
Grain – In partnership with Hong Kong’s craft brewers Gweilo, Grain is an gastropub serving up weekend brunch, Sunday roast, lunch, and dinner. A full cocktail menu, including mojitos, and G&T’s made from Gweilo gin are on hand. And don’t fear, kids are not forgotten with a dedicated children’s menu, making this a fun dining experience for all. The space is vast with cool industrial interiors, perfect for a casual dining spot whatever the hour.
You may also want to try:
- Pizzeria Italia – A relaxed family friendly restaurant, serving up all the classic pizza combinations you could want. Address: 144-148 Belcher’s St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2525 2133
- Flaming Frango – Hong Kong’s first ever fiery Piri-Piri chicken. Signature dishes include, Piri-Piri Chicken and Piri-Piri Chicken Wings. You might also want to check out their Piri-Piri Chocolate Martini if you dare! A fun casual spot. Address: G/F, 36 Forbes St, Kennedy Town. Contact:+852 2813 5001
- Cafe Siam – Serving authentic Thai food, in a relaxed comfortable atmosphere. Address: 38 Forbes St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2855 0810
- Piccolio Pizza – A neighbourhood pizzeria that has been a staple in Kennedy Town for quite some time. With a small but quality menu, the pizzas and pastas never disappoint, and they always have great weekday offers on. Contact: +852 2824 3000.
- Fish & Chick – If you fancy some fish and chips this causal eatery hits the spot. The fish is pan fried rather then deep fried for a healthier take. Address: 25 New Praya, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2974 0088.
- KTown Bar & Grill – Another offering from The Castelo group. K-Town Bar & Grill offers an easy laid back eatery, with some western and Asian influences. A big space so great for families. Address: Shop G7 & G8 G/F Sincere Western House 44-46 Forbes St Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2855 1368.
- KTM Bar & Kitchen – Fresh and authentic Nepalese dishes, with excellent momos, and dishes from the tandoor. Address: 1 Cadogan St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +825 2817 3889.
- Tequila on Davis – Casual and friendly Mexican restaurant and bar. Address: Shop 7, G/F & C/L., Grand Fortune Mansion, No. 1 Davis Street, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2818 1766.
- Cotto & Crudo – Address: Shop 3, G/F, New Fortune House, 3-5 New Praya, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2343 8111.
- Bresola – A small Italian, serving up excellent pizzas and pastas, grilled meats and seafood. Address: 78-86 Catchick Street. Yue On Building, Ground Floor, 78-86 Catchick St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2485 2345.
- Chill & Grill – A good spot for pasta, salads, steaks and burgers. There is also a deli and butchers attached to the restaurant. Address: 57 Cadogan St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2411 6999.
- Sofia – Eat is your choice – Plant based restaurant, serving up international cuisine. Address: Shop C, G / F, On Fat Building, 28-32 Davis Street, Kennedy Town, Sai Wan, Hong Kong. Contact: +852 523 9898.
- Yuan is Here – A street food chain originating from Taiwan serving up authentic Taiwanese food. Address: 31 North St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 3579 2460
- Shanghai Lao Lao – Address: Kin Liong Mansion, 16-30 North St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2470 5581.
- Beeger – For a beer and burger fix, this small gastropub by the seafront hits the spot. Address: G/F, Shop J May Sun Building 1-15, Smithfield, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2812 2328.
- Sun Hing Restaurant – Part of the Kennedy town neighbourhood for than 30 years. Sun Hing opens at 3am every day, a place for early risers, taxi drivers and students burning the midnight oil. Head over for hot steaming dim sum and local Cantonese cuisine. Don’t forget to try the Salted egg custard bun. Address: Shop C, G/F, 8 Smithfield Road, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2816 0616.
- Bun Cha Vietnamese Cafe – Great for authentic no fuss Vietnamese cuisine. Address: Full Harvest Building, Shop A&B, 6-18 Hau Wo St, Kennedy Town.
You may also like: NEW Family Friendly Restaurants in Hong Kong
Our Top Date Night Picks
Chino – A fusion of Mexican and Japanese cuisine, Chino is a family style, neighborhood restaurant with a focus on fresh, seasonal, and creative food and drinks. The menu brings together distinct flavors from each culture. Address: 1B New Praya, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2606 0588.
11 Westside – Headed by Mexican native Chef Esdras Ochoa (who appeared on Netflix’s The Final Table), 11 Westside brings you the freshest Mexican ingredients. We love the made-at-your-table guacamole, the handmade corn tortillas and tacos, and the Mexican cheese fondue! Not to mention Taco Tuesdays. Address: 1/F, The Hudson, 11 Davis Street, Kennedy Town, Hong Kong. Whatsapp: +852 9300 8068.
Missy Ho – A friendly neighbourhood speakeasy, restaurant and bar, Missy Ho brings the charm of old Shanghai to Kennedy Town. With an Asian fusio menu, offering lots of weekday specials for date night, girls night, Sushi & Sake night you name it! Address: Shop G9, G/F, Sincere Western House, 48 Forbes Street, Kennedy Town, Hong Kong. Contact: +852 2817 3808.
Comptoir – A cute little bistro serving up delicious French and Spanish inspired tapas, and a generous wine list. With a relaxed and easy going atmosphere that is always bustling. Comptoir is a great place to people watch while you sip on your wine. The restaurant also boasts a wine cellar and private room upstairs. Address: 42 Forbes Street, Kennedy Town, Hong Kong. Contact: +852 2453 9873.
Pici – What’s not to love about Pici! A welcome addition to the Kennedy Town neighbourhood guide, serving up fresh hand rolled pasta daily with a glass of Italian wine. a perfect date night spot. Address: 45, Shops 5,6,7,8,9, G/F, Han Yu Building, Nos, 55 Cadogan St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2699 1033.
You may also want to try:
- Bistronomique – Address: Shop 1, No.1 Davis Street Kennedy Town (3.23 km)
852 Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2818 8266
- Infiniti C – Gluten free cafe, serving up breakfasts and brunches, with speciality coffees also on hand. Address: Shop 6, G/F, The Hudson, 11 Davis Street, Kennedy Town.
- Catch – A casual neighbourhood dining spot with an emphasis on fish and a yummy weekend brunch. Owner Alex Malouf brings a Aussie vibe to Kennedy Town. Address: G/F, 95 Catchick St, Kennedy Town, Contact: +852 2855 1289.
- Mama Malouf – Another addition to Kennedy Town from Alex Malouf, and next door to Catch. Mama Malouf, brings a vibrant middle eastern vibe to the neighbourhood. A modern take on Lebanese food with influences inspired by his mother. Address: G/F, 93 Catchick St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2817 3828.
- Thai Ros Zab – A small and popular local Thai restaurant. Address: 2 Holland St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2811 1858
- Aziza – A family owned business serving up authentic Egyptian cuisine, within a wamr and cozy restaurant setting. Food is freshly prepared from recipes crafted by the chef’s mother. Address: Shop D, 28 Hau Wo St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 3462 2844
- The Clay Oven – Indian cuisine, in a relaxed informal setting. Address: Kam Hing Building, 27-31 Catchick St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2872 6900.
- Waffling Beans – Choose from Belgian liege waffles, with lots of sweet toppings or more traditional eggs Benedict. A great place for breakfast or lunch, with coffee, tea, shakes and juices alss on offer. Address: Shop 9C, New Fortune House, North St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2855 8890.
Our Top Take Away Picks
- Asphodeli by Healthy Chicken – A good spot for a quick and healthy lunch. Menu features Burritos, healthy protein packed boxes and salads. Address: 22-23 Praya, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2467 1838.
- Dough Bros – Sour dough pizzas, and freshly made nutella, custard and jam doughnuts. Yes please! Address: Shop 12A, G/F, New Fortune House, No. 4-8, North St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2345 3589.
- Momo Moments – A small takeaway joint on Forbes Street (look out for the bright blue exterior or you might miss it!). Serving up Nepalese dumplings, and street food bites. Address: G/F, 34 Forbes St., Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 9846 6569
- Falafel Hut – A small hole in the wall serving up Middle Eastern classics like lamb doners and chicken shawarma.76 Catchick St, Kennedy Town, Contact: +852 5114 1160.
You may also like: Our Picks of the Top Healthy Meal Delivery Services in Hong Kong
Our Top Coffee Shop Picks
- Arabica – Founded by the owners desire for a “truly amazing cup of coffee every day”. Arabica has taken Hong Kong by storm, introducing flavorsome brews from around the world. Situated on the waterfront in Kennedy town, with space to chill outside and upstairs on the second floor. Open from 8.30am. Address: Shop 4, Grand Fortune Mansion, No. 1 Davis St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2326 4578.
- Winstons Coffee – Founded by three friends who felt there was something missing on the Hong Kong coffee scene, that offered a relaxed atmosphere with great service. Winstons not only serves up coffee, but they also host a lot of fun nights like Espresso Martini Parties, Gin & Tonic Tuesdays, and 5 a side football. Address: Shop 8 The Hudson, 11 Davis St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2697 1878.
- For Single – Serves up some amazing single origin only brews alongside sophisticated takes on egg-on-toast for breakfast. Also stocked with local beer brews and a variety of single malt whiskeys. Swing by this family owned and run café for a positively pleasurable coffee indulgence. Address: Full Harvest Building, Shop D, G/F, 6-18 Hau Wo St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 9384 4491. Check out our post here.
- KEFI – Newly opened Pet friendly café KEFI features a guilt free menu, which is low on carbs, calories and sugar. Think protein waffles and cold brew coffee, or a red date latte for something different. Open from 8am. Address: 165-175 Belcher’s Street, Kennedy Town, Hong Kong. Contact: +852 2312 2180.
- Lex Coffee – More than just a coffee shop, the concept coined art-fé, combines cafe, restaurant and an art space to give you a different dining experience! Admire wirks of art whilt you sip your coffee, and if you love a particular piece you can take it home! (As a cost of course). Open from 11am. Address: G/F, 100 Belcher’s Street, Kennedy Town.
Contact: +852 2149 9633.
- The Cofftea Shop – A very small hole in a wall takeaway coffee shop on the corner of Catchick street. Offering up homemade pastries, bagels and sandwiches, with Italian coffee. Opens at 8am. Address: Yue On Building, 78-86 Catchick St, Sai Wan. Contact: 9104 2404.
- TGIF – A another pet friendly café, in Kennedy Town, with a vast open space, and lots of natural sunlight. TGIF serves up an array of coffee blends, whilst the menu includes vegan, and gluten free offerings. Opens at 8am. Address: Shop 4-6, G/F, Wo Fat Building, Shek Tong Tsui.
- First Boy Coffee – A place to enjoy Australian style coffee, in a casual and friendly atomphere, also pet friendly! First Boy Coffee in Kennedy Town. Opens at 8am. Address: G/F, 33 Praya, Kennedy Town. Contact: + 852 3611 3851.
- Affee – Opened by four friends who have known each other since primary school, Affee serves two house blends with beans from Brazil, Peru, Ethiopia, and Uganda. Open from 8am. Address: 19 Hau Wo St, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 6379 2755.
- Small good – As the same suggests, a small coffee shop with a big punch. Open from 8am. Address: 175 Belcher’s St, +852 9864 0307, Kennedy Town.
- Joint – Marked by a distinctive green exteriort, Joint is founded by a coffee enthusiast who studied in Melbourne and worked at Café Life in PMQ. Offering a simple no fuss brew. Opens at 8am. Address: 19 Hau Wo St, Kennedy Town.
- Eric Kayser – Perfect for your morning coffee and yummy French baked goods and freshly baked sourdough bread. Open from 7am. Address: 11 Davis St, Kennedy Town.
Where to Shop
- Slowood – Offering eco alternatives of your daily basic needs for a zero waste and sustainable lifestyle. Products are recycled, biodegradable, zero-waste and ecologically friendly a must visit addition to our Kennedy Town Neighbourhood Guide. Address: Sai Wan, Davis St, 11 The Hudson. Contact: +852 2818 0203.
- Tramline Liquor – For specialist beers and alcohol tramline has you covered. Address: 78 Catchick St, Sai Wan. Contact: +852 2387 1230.
- 1950 Hair Products – A small but fully stocked shop featuring all the latest salon hair products at very reasonable prices. Address: Shop B, G/F, 1E Sands St., Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 5285 1950.
- Westwood Mall – For all your basic needs The Westwood Mall ticks the boxes. Shops include: A newly renovated Wellcome, Dr Kong, SDM Ballet school, Maths and English tutors, Noble Time, Mannings, Japan home, and Tom Lee, conveniently located next to HKU MTR. Address: The Westwood, Belcher’s St, Kennedy Town.
- Mercato Gourmet by Giando – In collaboration with Mercato Gourmet, the shelves in the retail section of restaurant Cotto & Crudo are stocked with fresh and dried products from around the world. The burrata is a must buy.
- Smithfield Market – A large wet market where you will find, vegetables, fruit, seafood and meat. Address: 12K Smithfield, Kennedy Town.
- L’Azur Gourmet Cafe – Continental products from all around the world at very reasonable prices. L’Azure is more a food market than a supermarket, you can even pick up a whole roasted chicken for less than $80! Address: 518-520 Queen’s Road West. Whatsapp: +852 6323 6727
- Yik Yee Tea House – If you love tea this is the place for you. The owner Mr. Lau is so passionate about tea and very generous with his time and teaching. He loves to host and will happily brew various teas just for you. Address: 155-163 Belcher’s St, 155-163. Contact: +852 9150 8199.
- Cycling Town – For all your cycling and bike needs. Address: Shop 8, G/F, Harbour View Garden, No. 2 Catchick Street, Kennedy Town.
SmartBuyGlasses Outlet Store – An outlet store selling glasses and sunglasses at reasonable prices. Brands include Ray-Ban, Oakley, Gucci and more. Address: 1/F, Cheung Hing Industrial Building, 12P Smithfield, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2872 0163
You might also like: The Best Stationery Stores in Hong Kong
There is a substantial list of Kindergarten’s to choose from in Kennedy Town, another reason why it’s so popular with both locals and expats alike. Our Kennedy Town neighbourhood guide gives you the lowdown.
- Woodlands – Offering international kindergarten and pre-school education (from 6 months to 6 years of age) since 1978. The campus in Kennedy town offers the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Curriculum and is set over multipole floors, with play areas on each. Address: G/F – 2/F, Hau Wo Building, 3C Davis Street, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2817 2011
- Wilderness International Kindergarten – Encourages children to learn through creativity, play and a connection to nature, while also following the IB PYP curriculum and Reggio Emilia-inspired learning. The kindergarten highlights nature everyday through indoor and outdoor play, with a lovely outdoor space, equipped with a tree house, sensory gardens, and climbing frames. Address: Ground Floor, Po Tak Mansion, 85 Smithfield Road, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2595 9066
- Mighty Oaks –The curriculum at Mighty Oaks is based on Bronfenbrenner’s ecological systems theory. With a child-centred approach to help students form healthy senses of self-identity through play discovery, and character building. Address: 1/F, Lungga Mansion, 46A Belcher’s Street, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2806 8383
- Fairchild – Nature is key at Fairchild Canadian Academy. The Kindergarten (age 2 – 6 years) near Kennedy Town aims to bring the outdoors inside and play to learn. Established in 2016 by Joseph Fung, the programme is guided by Ontario Early Learning Framework. For more information check out our article on Fairchild here. Address: G/F & 1/F, Kong Chian Tower, 351 Des Voeux Road West, Shek Tong Tsui. Contact: +852 2803 2638.
- Sun Island – Following the Hong Kong curriculum, Sun Island offers classes in Cantonese and also bilingual for non-local students. They regularly hold teacher-parent meetings, and communicate effectively via notices and a great App which allows you to be fully connected to your child’s learning. Address: G/F-3/F, Ka Ming Building, 56 Belcher’s Street, Western District, Hong Kong, Contact: +852 2818 7074.
- Witty International Play School / Kindergarten – The Kindergarten offers a unique learning experience for children aged 2 to 6 years with qualified teachers providing an integrated curriculum in both English and Mandarin. Children’s education focuses on morality, intelligence, physical ability, social and aesthetic development. Address: Upper Ground Floor, Joyful Building, nos. 16-18 Belcher’s St. Contact: +852 2817 8132.
- Victoria Educational Organisation – Offers education for children aged 8 months to 6 years old. Classes are bilingual or trilingual and taught by native English, Putonghua- and/or Cantonese speaking teachers. The curriculum is International Primary Years Programme (PYP). Address: Portion of Level 3 (Kindergarten Area), The Westwood, 8 Belcher’s Street. Contact: +852 2542 7006.
- Hong Kong Man Sang Kindergarten & International Nursery – Classes are trilingual and taught by native English, Cantonese speaking teachers with some Mandarin learning activities. Address: Shop A, G/F & 1/F, Nice Garden, 513-519 Queen’s Road West, Western District. Contact: +852 2336 3232.
- Caritas Nursery School – Kennedy Town – The school curriculum aims to inspire children’s potential and cultivate children with both ability and political integrity as the development direction. Address: 27 Pokfield Rd, Kennedy Town. Contact: +852 2816 8008.
You may also like: Looking for a Kindergarten For Your Toddler or Preschooler?
No Kennedy Town neighbourhood guide would be complete without mentioning our furry friends. Kennedy Town has a surprising number of pet friendly stores, check them out below:
- Veterinary Emergency Centre (VEC) – Shop 4-6, G/F, Shun Fai Bldg 19, Hau Wo St, Kennedy Town. Contact: + 852 2334 2334
- Toby Pet Castle – 1 Davis St, Kennedy Town, Contact: + 852 2348 3399
- Paws buddy – 7 Catchick St, Sai Wan. Contact: + 852 2818 2727
- Royal Pet Care – Belcher Court Block A, Sai Cheung St, Sai Wan. Contact: + 852 2818 6603.
- For Dog Parks head over to the Cadogan Street Temporary Garden on the J/O Cadogan Street and Victoria Road. And also the small dog park at the end of the The Belcher Bay Harbourfront.
You may also like: Pets for Kids: 5 Benefits of Owning a Pet
Main photo courtesy of Shutterstock; photo 1 courtesy of Shutterstock, photo 2 courtesy of Alvys FB, photo 3 courtesy of Grain FB, photo 4 courtesy of Mama Malouf FB, photo 5 courtesy of Comptoir FB. photo 6 courtesy of girly_machine Instagram; Photo 7 courtesy of Shutterstock; Photo 8 courtesy of f.o.v Instagram; Photo 9 courtesy of For Single FB; Photo 10 courtesy of Slowood; Photo 11 courtesy of Fairchild; Photo 12 courtesy of Shutterstock.